Honelign Hailu Mekonnen [Former Dean, College of Law]
Bio: Honelign Hailu Mekonnen is lecturer of law at Debre Berhan University College of Law since October 2013. Before he joined Debre Berhan University, Honelign served as lecturer of law and founding member of Madawalabu University department of law. He had also been Academic Quality Assurance and Relevance Coordinator of College of Law (December 2014-May 2017) and dean of Debre Berhan University College of Law since May 2017 until he began his PhD study. Honelign has got his LL.B Degree from Mekelle University School of Law with distinction in 2008 and his LL.M in Human Rights Law from Addis Ababa University School of Law in 2011. Since October, Honelign is pursuing his PhD in Human Rights at Addis Ababa University Center for Human Rights.
- Assessment of Challenges Related with the Right and Administration of Prisoners’ Right to Property: The Case of North Shewa Zone Prison Centers (Submitted to Debre Berehan University Research Directorate, 2017).
- Human Rights in Seventy Years after the Adoption of the UDHR (Unpublished), Presented at the 70th Years Anniversary of the UDHR in a Seminar Organized by Debre Berhan University College of Law, December 10, 2018.
- Freedom of Expression and the Possible Limitations on Freedom of Expression to deal with the Advocacy of Hate Speech and Propaganda of War: The Current Ethiopian Context in Consideration (Unpublished).
- The Challenges in the Protection of the Rights of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Ethiopia. (Unpublished).
- The Implications of the Kampala Convention in the Protection of the Rights of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Africa. (Unpublished).
- The Right to Freedom of Expression and Hate speech During the Internet Age: Striking the Balance between Entitlement and National Security Considerations in Ethiopia (Focus on Practical Solutions). (Unpublished).
- Judicial Referrals of Disputes Grounded on the Need for Constitutional Interpretation: Analyses of Contents and Reading of Patterns in Courts of Law (Focus on what Principle Courts adhere to in Holding whether there is a Need for Constitutional Interpretation). (Unpublished).
- Ethnic Identity and the Right to Self-determination: Overview of Procedures and Practices of the HoF/Regional Councils. (Unpublished).
Honelign’s interests of research are generally related to human rights and specifically related to freedom of expression and hate speech; the rights of internally displaced persons; the right to self-determination; the rights of vulnerable groups; grave violations of human rights such as genocide, crimes against humanity, torture; and transitional justice.
Community Service Engagements
- Honelign has delivered various trainings organized by Debre Berehan University College Community Service Directorate along with Debre Berhan University College of Law and Addis Ababa University Center for Human Rights Debre Berhan Branch to selected participants from North Shewa Zone and its environs. The areas of the training include human rights; the right of vulnerable groups such as the right of women, children, persons with disability; the right of prisoners; and law of succession.
Cell Phone: +251 942 530883
For more information, see Honelign’s CV here.